IT’S FRIDAY!!! And, it’s FRICKEN FREEZING!!!!!! Which brings me right into todays’ Friday Five topic…
COLD WEATHER RUNNING TIPS!!
As I do every week, I’m linking up with the DC Trifecta, Cynthia, Courtney, and Mar… and we’re talking about things that are becoming more and more important to me as it becomes colder and colder outside. So, here we go!!
1. COLD WEATHER GEAR!! Bundle, but don’t over bundle! (say what??) Yea, I know that’s a bit confusing… I actually saw this amazing “weather guide” thing on twitter yesterday that I NEED to share… It’s a bit blurry, but it’s awesome!! I’m also providing the link to the original tweet, because the picture isn’t of very good quality.
2. GET UNDRESSED FAST!! Keeping with clothes for a second, you need to GET OUT of your running gear as soon as (or pretty fricken soon after) you get back from your run. If you’re anything like me, your body will be red and blotchy… (nice look right??) Get in a warm shower/bath (dealers choice) and then put on warm, DRY clothing. Trust me, your body will thank you.
3. SHOES! Have you checked the traction on your shoes?? They may be worn out from hitting the pavement all spring and summer long. First time smacking the ice, and BAM… those shoes wont be the only thing hitting. Depending on where you’re running, you may want to look at trail shoes (especially if you live in wooded areas – lucky!! bet its gorgeous with all the snow!!) or at least shoes with better, newer treads.
4. WARM UP!! (no pun intended) It’s cold… your body is probably throwing profanities at you to begin with for being outside… don’t go from 0-10 out of no where! Take it easy, work up to your desired speed. Less risk of injury that way. 🙂
5. PAY ATTENTION!!! Surroundings, below your feet, above your head (icicles)… be aware. Ice hurts… in all forms. Falling on it, it falling on you… no good. Snow mounds… look harmless enough right? Yea, until some little shit comes out and scares the bejesus out of you at 9pm. (yes, this has happened to me and I all but decked him)… BE AWARE!!!
Hope you enjoyed my little friday five link up and I hope you have an INCREDIBLE weekend!! ❤