HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!! This week was another short week and (to me at least) has FLOWN by. I’ve been slacking a bit with the blog posts and for that I apologize. There really isn’t an excuse, I’ve just forgotten to update! Not excusable, but, c’est la vie!
So, on this FRIGID Friday – I want to list some of my FAVORITE gear for cold weather running!! In the winter runners need to take extra care when picking clothes to run in. Layers are a MUST, and you need to be conscious of frostbite on your fingers and toes!
- Oiselle Jogging Tights: These things are simply amazing. When the weather outside is frightful, you can bet your ass I’m in these tights (ful)! (har har – bad attempt at humor) My favorite feature with these tights are the compression. Most of the compression tights that I have are pretty decent when it comes to keeping everything in one place, but they aren’t warm… at all. The Jogging Tights by Oiselle keep my body warm – and keep my circulation up. Also, they’re super cute. When I’m looking for warmth and durability, “cute” isn’t usually something that I care about. However, as a person who understands that looking a hot mess is not yet socially acceptable, I appreciate cuteness where I can get it. 🙂
- Oiselle Powerstretch Running Gloves: Sensing a theme here? Oiselle has killer gear. If you haven’t checked them out… DO IT NOW! These gloves are my favorite gloves for running in the cold. They are warm with the Polartec® Power Stretch® Pro technology but not too warm causing my hands to sweat and become gross. Breathable is key with gloves for me. They’re touch screen compatible which is a HUGE plus for me. I’m always checking my phone on runs; be it to make sure I’m keeping a safe speed, or I’m checking to see if my kiddo needs me – I need to be able to touch my phone without freezing my fingers off. Also, again, like the tights… they’re cute!
- November Project Buff: Pictured above in Blue and below in black. These gators/buffs are so awesome! They are simple, stretchy fabric, but they help with wind tremendously! I’ve been wearing one to walk from my parking garage to work everyday lately as the wind in Baltimore has been brutal! I also appreciate the versatility of the buffs. I’m able to cover my ears like ear muffs, while keeping my neck warm and safe from wind
- Smartwool PhD® Run Ultra Light Micro Socks: Super soft, super warm, super comfortable. These socks, like the gloves I mentioned earlier, have a breathable material that keeps perspiration down. (I’m a sweater – so these products are my savior) No one appreciates the runner funk – and these socks are a way to avoid that when running in winter. Also, unless I’m injured (which happens frequently) I prefer (even in below freezing temperatures) to have socks that are at my ankle. I’ll wear compression socks that go to the knee, but only when necessary. The Smartwool socks were actually given to me as a Ragnar Ambassador and I fell in love with them instantly. I went out an bought three more pair.
- Running vest: I have two that I wear frequently, one by Oiselle, and one my Lululemon. Both companies no longer sell them (sad face) so I have no link to share! I tend to carry things with me when I run, even when I plan not to. Having a vest like the Kara Goucher inspired vest below, is a win win. There are pockets on the sides, and a LARGE pocket in the back on my tush, to hold things. Also, hood much? LOVE IT! As I mentioned, I tend to sweat, so vests on top of my long sleeved shirts are perfect when I run to make sure I don’t overheat.
- What are your cold weather gear go-tos?
- How cold is it where you are right now? (it’s a balmy 11° in Baltimore!)
- Are you running outside, or are you running on the dreadmill?
Wishing you happy trails!! STAY WARM!! 🙂